Thursday, August 30, 2007

FIRST WEEK OF WORK







My first week of work was very nice and different from what I’m used to. I had a full day with Eline Koh at the museum of Design regarding the colors use and the space optimization for working teams. First she explained me the Asian vision, then the museum history. After I was told about the colours itself in a Singaporean point of view. After a full day of sketches, awards, exchange of ideas and doubts posing , she invited me to be present on Saturday night at the launch party of new products of known brands! So Singaporean Chinese are not cold, they just check out people first!
The second meeting happened when I met an investor of resorts around the world which embraces colour features. You cannot imagine where we met!
At the GYM!!! Yes its true.
His secretary, his assistant and him came to my hotel at 8.30 to do some sports and to meet me. There, we talked about mundane things, the weather, tourism and the countries. Then after the shower of course, we re-met at a breakfast restaurant to start our meeting.
The sports cut the cold of the first meeting because you see the person in gym suite, then you informally introduce yourself, they kind of analize your personality and your way of being, then you relax with your gym and music and also oxygen your brain! Then yes, you wash yourself and you are ready to work hard! The all day.
After this start You do not need 10 coffee breaks a day to cutting working hours, you have person equilibrium even with the people you work with, you arrive to the meeting energized and confident...after all you saw the team in Gym Suite! Eh! The productivity here is very high and people have fun too. They just separate waters. They focus on the present of what they are doing.
What I’m learning here (extra from the work itself) are two very important things for my life!
1. Knowing that having several activities are well seen and appreciated when you focus in what we are doing at the present moment.
2.The mind has to be clean to focus, has to be energized to focus, has to be free of preoccupations to focus, and has to be out of other people to focus. Even if you have 10 activities per day; you focus on the one you are doing NOW.

I very appreciated this ideas I’ve been learning. I’m a million project person and I’m not going to change, I’m a good time manager, I’m organized and that is good. But I used to think a million things at the same time and sometimes my head didn’t have a break of the ideas that were constantly arriving to my brain processor. Structure is the thing I’m learning, a different one for people like me. I was in a wrong structure trying to adapt to the others way of work and now I’m learning my own with people like me: optimize my way of work, my life and of course my thoughts fluency.
I learned a lot in my previous jobs, I do not demerit them. But the productivity, the fastness, the "keep rolling' procedures are more my type and I’m loving it.
I’m improving myself.
That’s the purpose of life isn’t it?
To grow as a human being, to become more flexible, more open minded, more fearless, kinder to others and their selves and better professionals. Like Henry Ford wrote

Life is a series of experiences, each one make us bigger, even though is hard to realise this. For the world was built character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grief’s which we endure help us marching onwards.

No comments: